As Assistant Designer, you will work closely alongside Primark’s Buying and Merchandising teams to translate trend into product.
Working alongside a Designer, you will collaborate with fellow product designers across the business you will create strong, fashion forward, commercial and global ranges that identify with the Primark brand.
As Assistant Designer, you will demonstrate passion, curiosity and interest in fashion. You will predict key trends using the knowledge of top sellers, extensive research and the knowledge of forecasting tools.
You will actively participate in key range building meetings and support product development through the completion of focused technical tasks. You will work within the development process, applying good knowledge of design tools, product qualities and specifications.
You will be responsible for staying ahead of trends, continually research new ideas.
Trend & Research
- Work with the Designer to make connections between concepts and information to identify trends that will commercially impact on Primark's ranges.
- Identifies emerging trends through extensive research and translates these into commercially viable trends.
- Demonstrates the ability to know when to move onto new trends quickly and communicates this confidently and effectively to influence the relevant audiences.
- Use own initiative to filter through information and share new ideas to shape the direction of trends in line with trend stories.
- Make suggestions for future ranges based on predicted trends, market insight, past experience, visual merchandising and social media.
- Develops own knowledge of ranges by reviewing performance of ranges and styles with Buying and Merchandising teams.
Product Design/Range Build & Execution
- Supports the Designer in for making impactful, commercially viable decisions related to range building, which support the delivery of successful product ranges.
- Support the Designer to ensure design trends have a balance of commerciality
- Collaborate with Designer and Buying Team to ensure creative vision is executed
- Collaborates with other departments to ensure trends are aligned.
- Maintain and follow critical path dates
- Continually review the range from design to sample stage with Buying
- Follow design briefs to ensure focus is maintained on the provided direction in the allocated time
- Track and manage design/trend amends, ensuring they are communicated to all parties in a timely manner
- Prepare design/trend files for presentations/meetings/suppliers.
- Responsible for design team colour/trend/product admin.
- Understands Primark’s drive to deliver commercial value through profit, market share and volume whilst adhering to the brand and responding to competitor threats.
- Demonstrates strong commercial awareness and knowledge of Primark’s brand
- Recognises and takes account of cost implications of products and how to increase their value.
- Understands how the commercial trends impact on sales (past and current)
- Collaborate and engage with Buying and Merchandising teams to create and deliver strong, fashion forward, commercial and global ranges that identify with the Primark brand.
- Establish productive and effective working relationships with Buying and Merchandising teams to ensure successful execution of range builds, maintain clear and regular communication.
- Communicate Design trends and research findings to Buying and Merchandising teams
- Collaborate and work with Design teams in all Product areas to ensure overall alignment of the Design function cross departmentally.
Key Interactions and Engagements as part of this role:
As Assistant Designer you will report directly to a Designer. You will work closely with Primark’s Buying and Merchandising teams, as well as collaborating with Design teams across all product categories to ensure alignment and a unified Design vision across our brand. You will also be expected to represent your product categories on working groups and forums across departmentally.
Knowledge, education, skills and experience:
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a Trainee or Assistant Design role.
- Relevant qualification in fashion design or equivalent experience
- Strong working knowledge of Adobe Software including Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Have a good level of business acumen, sound common sense and a genuine interest in the retail industry.
- Accuracy, attention to detail and a pro-active approach.
- Excellent planning, organising and co-ordinating skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, high level of energy and a positive can-do attitude.
- Thrives on a new opportunities and challenges, in a fast-paced environment
- Innovative thinker with a passion for creativity
- Energetic and enthusiastic
- Flexible, positive and determined
- Works well with others to help the team succeed, readily offers idea and support
- Effective presentation skills with the ability to adapt style to suit audience
- Works in an organised and structured way, managing own time effectively
- Utilises information relevant to own role and makes informed decisions
- Takes ownership of delivery, following standards and processes to guarantee quality
- Open to other’s ideas and feedback
- Makes decisions where possible and seeks guidance when needed
- Acts quickly to ensure problems are solved at pace
- Actively gets to know the customer profile and considers how to best meet their needs
- Aware of own strengths and development needs, takes responsibilities and seeks opportunity for developing own talents