Reports to: Head of Engineering & Enablement [In the interim, Director of Platforms, Engineering & Services]
Team: Platforms Engineering & Services
Job Type: Permanent/ Full Time
Primark Technology is about to embark on a transformation journey to support business strategy which includes modernising our operating model as well as technology architecture. Oracle is our biggest technology platform and the most critical to commercial success as a business; it connects to all functions in the business from retail stores and merchandising to supply chain and finance. The successful candidate will lead our Oracle Platform engineering CoE with the mandate to improve software quality standards, scalability and operational performance, coach and drive an engineering culture within the team working closely with our partners
- Act as a hands-on senior technical leader for all of Oracle platform engineering, i.e., application development and operational (L1.5, L2, L3 and L4) responsibilities across product domains covering RMS, E-Business Suite, ReIM etc. and other custom capabilities on the platform
- Design, implement and lead Centre of Excellence strategy for managing development, testing, deployment, monitoring, maintenance etc. of Oracle platform working closely with our dev & ops partners
- As Engineering lead, build strong senior relationships with our partners ensuring seamless delivery of CoE and engineering capabilities for the Product teams
- Define and govern software quality standards, service transition rigour and compliance to security; ultimately improve software delivery and operational performance measured through metrics such as MTTR, Change Failure Rate %, Deployment lead time, technical debt
- Line-manage, coach, mentor and develop a team of Primark engineers, and work closely with Practice Lead to foster and develop engineering talent
- Set the technical direction and demonstrate active responsibility for Oracle related portfolio’s objectives
- Ensure the engineering and platform development roadmaps and backlogs reflect Primark’s tech modernisation strategy, including adoption of public cloud
- Foster self-management and accountability at the team level through servant leadership
- Approach and contribute to product planning and roadmap with an agile approach
- Orchestrate a culture of collaboration and continuous improvement across the organisation to ensure scalability and long-term efficiency.
- Ensure software engineering costs for the portfolio are known, supervised and optimised.
- Demonstrate and champion pragmatism in terms of commercial delivery and software quality.
- Promote technology, values and ways of working within the team and wider software engineering community.
Knowledge & Experience Required:
- Working knowledge of one or more platforms: Oracle RMS v15, Oracle E-Business Suite, Oracle Reporting, Oracle Retail Integration Business, Microsoft Azure, CI/CD through Jenkins, Sonar, Nexus etc.
- An appropriate degree, equivalent qualification or experience
- Be a passionate and visionary technologist able to inspire others to challenge and disrupt the current reality to co-create a compelling technology-orientated future business by
- being able to scan potential technologies (established, emerging and emergent)
- finding ways to translate that into business opportunities
- and most importantly of all, able to take people along with you, empowering new ways of working and successfully executing on those opportunities
- Solid background in software engineering with 10+ years’ experience in a variety of systems and technologies with most recent experience running Oracle software platforms, preferably in a Retail context
- Experience building and leading teams of highly skilled software engineers that deliver high-quality software.
- Strong understanding of system design, software architecture, cloud, and software engineering standard methodologies
- Advocate for Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery.
- Specialist in Agile, lean and DevOps with keen interest in open-source technologies
- Good understanding of testing strategies and reliability engineering
- Highly organised and able to handle multiple work streams, manage partners and expectations.
- Excellent people management, interpersonal, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Confident driving system design conversations, ensuring software systems built correctly
- Experience in enterprise grade software deployments and operations
- Experience in supporting communities that are sustainable.
- Experience with the public cloud.