Tech Our Way.
Primark Technology is about to embark on a transformation journey to support business strategy which includes modernising our operating model as well as technology architecture.
Successful candidate will act as the subject matter expert for the development and maintenance of the systems and solutions aligned to the ISO Product Domain. As part of the Engineering Practice, we aim to enable more frequent and faster deployments, improve software quality and reduce change failure rate and improve the mean time to recover in the event of an issue occurring.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Act as a hands-on technical leader for all engineering, system development, change management and operational and technical support responsibilities within a product area/domain
- As Engineering Manager, manage the delivery of the customer change request and system development backlog for a product area
- Build strong senior relationships with our application or application support partners ensuring seamless engineering and development capability for the specified Product Domain
- Line-manage, coach, mentor and develop a team of application engineers and developers
- Puts the customer impact at the forefront of prioritisation – recognising what change requests require urgent response – works closely with business customers to manage technical changes at store, country and global level.
- Drive SI & application vendors to meet and exceed expectations
- Define and govern software quality standards, change management and service transition rigour and compliance to security; ultimately improve software delivery and operational performance measured through metrics such as MTTR, Change Failure Rate %, Deployment lead time, technical debt
- Own the technical deployment for all SaaS product release and upgrade cycle for all of the applications within the product area - partnering with Product Owner to define new feature deployment timelines.
- Have the User Experience (UX) at the forefront of technical design and usability
- Set the technical direction and demonstrate active responsibility for an entire portfolio’s objectives
- Ensure the engineering and platform development roadmaps and backlogs reflect the strategy developed in partnership with Product Owners and the Business area LT
- Collaborate closely and develop effective partnerships with the Product Domain (Product Managers and Product Owners) to create strategic objectives and organisational evolutions to better align business, product and technical opportunities
- Approach and contribute to product planning and roadmap with an agile approach
- Orchestrate a culture of collaboration and continuous improvement across the organisation to ensure scalability and long-term efficiency.
- Pro-actively seek relevant external insight, trends and innovations to ensure Primark remains best in class.
- Ensure software engineering costs for the portfolio are known, supervised and optimised.
- Demonstrate and champion pragmatism in terms of commercial delivery and software quality.
- Promote technology, values and ways of working within the team and wider software engineering community.
- Participate in 'on call' rota and fulfil requirements and demands as appropriate
Skills & Experience:
- Working knowledge of one or more platforms: Blue Yonder WFM, Kronos, Manus, Atoss, Timepoint, Oracle, Relational Databases, J2EE, IBM MQ, Azure, Kafka, CI/CD through Jenkins, Sonar, Nexus, etc and a thorough understanding of how platforms integrate.
- An appropriate degree, equivalent qualification or experience
- Experience in enterprise grade software deployments and operations
- Experience in supporting communities that are sustainable.
- Experience with the public cloud.
- Experience building and leading teams of highly skilled software engineers / developers that deliver high-quality software.
Successful candidates will:
- Be a passionate and visionary technologist able to inspire others to challenge and disrupt the current reality to co-create a compelling technology-orientated future business by being able to scan potential technologies (established, emerging and emergent) finding ways to translate that into business opportunities and most importantly of all, able to take people along with you, empowering new ways of working and successfully executing on those opportunities
- Have experience building and leading teams of highly skilled software engineers that deliver high-quality software.
- Possess a strong understanding of system design, software architecture, cloud, and software engineering standard methodologies
- Be an advocate for Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery.
- Consider yourself a specialist in Agile, lean and DevOps with keen interest in open-source technologies
- Be highly organised and able to handle multiple work streams, manage partners and expectations.
- Confident driving system design conversations, ensuring software systems built correctly
Why work with us?
At Primark, we know how hard everyone works to achieve our business goals. Having a competitive salary and annual bonus scheme is our way of acknowledging this. We'll also provide you with a progressive career path, because clear advancement is what we’re all about at Primark
Our flexible working benefit, Your Day Your Way, means you get to choose when to start and finish your workday. Choose to work remotely if you like, in a way that suits you but also helps us get the most out of your talents.
There’s a lively culture here, and it’s easy to get to know each other in a truly warm atmosphere.