As Head of Environmental and Social Compliance, you will play a key role in ensuring policies, procedures and delivery of work are accurately implemented and adhered to, in order to demonstrate and achieve regulatory compliance with Primark’s environmental and social regulations.
Your primary focus will be to provide leadership to the Compliance function with a specific focus on Environmental and Social regulations, ensuring the successful orchestration of identifying, implementing and monitoring key compliance risks. You will play a pivotal role in reporting any identified risks to the Director of Risk and Compliance and to the Board, to meet all regulatory and compliance expectations.
The successful candidate will exhibit an extensive portfolio, with experience across a range of fields including compliance/legal/audit/accounting/sustainability and will have led various sophisticated regulatory regimes and programmes. Reporting directly to the Director of Risk and Compliance, this position represents a great opportunity for the right person to utilise their expertise and lessons learned to bring a new and innovative approach through a range of methodologies.
As Head of Compliance – Environment and Social, you will hold the following responsibilities:
- Develop, execute and report against the annual programme for Environment and Social compliance in line with the Compliance Framework.
- Act as a key source of information and ensure business awareness of any mandatory compliance requirements in the ESG space.
- Design, develop and implement all necessary policies, procedures and processes to support operationalisation of regulatory requirements.
- Undertake compliance reviews of applicable regulations, capture requirements, design controls and acquire evidence of compliance whilst ensuring alignment with policy. Work with internal partners on any areas of non-compliance and generate regular and routine reports to cascade to management.
- Ensure the operationalisation of controls for relevant environmental and social regulations and directives, i.e. EU Green Deal related legislation
- Improve and maintain the compliance monitoring program, ensuring compliance issues raised are dealt with in a timely manner.
- Drive and lead the introduction and eventual familiarity of the Compliance function to the business.
- Support in developing focused ways of working covering roadmap delivery and interactions with senior stakeholders
- Continually make recommendations to key stakeholders to allow us to evolve and mature within the Compliance space.
- Anticipate the future growth plans of the business and ensure that the Compliance function is set up to deliver to these plans.
- Prioritise key activities and drive delivery through collaboration across multiple teams in the business, both within and outside of the Compliance space.
- Collaborate with key operational and programme leads to define and refresh roadmaps for core initiatives of the business and technology.
- Build effective communication channels with business leaders and stakeholders. Provide visibility on the Compliance strategy and roadmap, the status of projects and opportunities to mitigate key compliance risks.
- Operate as a primary point of contact for all topics related to Compliance in the environmental and social space.
- Work closely with the Director of Risk and Compliance, to ensure alignment to the overall business and Risk & Compliance strategy.
- Provide strategic leadership for the Compliance team, creating and relaying a vision that aligns with business goals and aspirations.
- Provide guidance and direction to teams by fostering a culture of collaboration, accountability, and continuous improvement.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders, including senior stakeholders, clients, and project sponsors, ensuring effective communication and alignment of expectations.
- Share an engaging and inspiring vision with the team and provide clarity and a sense of direction to enable working towards common goals. Generate enthusiasm and commitment within the team and across Primark to shared outcomes.
- Operate as a role model within Primark, inspiring and mentoring others to develop and progress.
- Act as a coach and mentor for the team, enabling them to take ownership of their careers and supporting them to drive their own development.
- Help in directing and shaping overall voice of the Compliance team within Primark whilst harnessing a focus on Compliance within the Environment and Social space.
We are looking for the following experience:
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience working in a compliance/ regulatory/ risk functions, with a focus on the ESG regulatory space; retail experience would be ideal.
- Experience of interpreting and applying legislation or regulation within a company context and partnering with first line to design and implement controls.
- Must be proficient in English and have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Substantial experience conducting detailed root cause analysis, investigations and/or auditing, with a good knowledge of relevant analytics tools and methodologies.
- Experience in compiling information for regulatory returns and reports.
- Good understanding of organisational dynamics and business process and policies. A working knowledge of business processes, key risks, operational and IT controls in a fast-paced commercial environment.
- Prior experience of navigating complex multi-stakeholder environments, whilst demonstrating strong interpersonal skills and generating ‘buy-in’ from all stakeholder groups
- Proficient in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access).
- Experience of working with regulators, external auditors and inspectors desirable.
- A great communicator with effective and persuasive presentation skills, demonstrating high levels of emotional intelligence and the ability to push back with professionalism.
- Ability to evaluate and determine the adequacy of controls by analysing business risks.
- Ability to build trusted relationships and collaborate across multi country, diverse and multi-functional teams to drive business objectives.
- Well organised, ability to plan and prioritise work schedules and individual tasks.
- A real team player, with strong leadership skills and the ability to provide clarity and direction to previously unexplored topics. Someone who can operate globally, cross-functionally, and at all levels of the organisation, taking ownership and demonstrating initiative.
- Motivated, hardworking, able to manage self and other tasks to meet required deadlines.
- Articulate and able to build a strong narrative argument, distilling lots of information into a clear and consistent story that will resonate with Primark management.
- Challenges the status quo and applies lessons learned to enhance future ways of working.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Strong planning and organisational skills, with ability to manage own workload in a pressurised environment and work to tight deadlines.
- Sets aggressive goals and accountable for continuously driving improved performance, leading change and ensuring high standards are consistently maintained.
- Highly accurate and excellent attention to detail.