Head of Retail Systems (Technology)
Purpose of role:
The Head of Retail Systems will be responsible for the delivery of innovative solutions across Primark’s Retail Store platforms. To ensure that the systems are aligned with the business objectives to support Primark’s Retail Store Strategy, whilst promoting high levels of customer satisfaction, driving continuous improvement and cost efficiency.
The successful candidate will have excellent knowledge of the retail industry and the ability to provide leadership to colleagues within the Technology Function.
The role requires excellent communication skills, to ensure effective engagement with a diverse stakeholder group both across the business and within the Technology Function.
Director of Business Services
- Build effective relationships with business leaders and stakeholders. Provide visibility on technology vision strategy and road map, status of projects and opportunities to innovate using technology or process changes to deliver benefits in and to transform Primark’s digital presence and systems or process changes to deliver benefits in and to transform the Retail stores systems.
- Ensure technology has early involvement in any proposed technology innovations.
- A key sponsor of any new Retail store system developments and will ensure that all systems transition smoothly into business as usual operations.
- Shape the Retail Store technology strategy and roadmap.
- Responsibility for delivery of all Primark’s Retail Store Solutions including the implementation of New Market retail solutions and the new ePOS solution.
- Lead the technology response to and support of the in-store experience initiative, with a focus on Mobile & Digital First to deliver innovative technology to improve and enrich the Colleague Experience and the Customer Journey
- Communicate opportunities and evaluations to the key business stakeholders. Evangelise potential applications of technologies.
- Recommend innovation opportunities and input into business strategies and architecture roadmaps to ensure we are a fast adopter of proven technologies and innovations that are fit for a business of our scale. Clearly articulate how proposed capability and innovations could resolve an organizational need.
- Ensure innovations fit with the Retail Store strategy - goals, performance metrics, best practices, tools/technologies, methodologies.
- Build the business cases for wider adoption of technologies and ensure proper technology and business engagement. Ensure there is a robust assessment of the costs, benefits and risks and required change management.
- Transition the technologies to the project teams and support teams for implementation.
- Promote collaborative solutions between business / internal stakeholders and partners / suppliers.
- Participate in product selections.
- Understands, articulate and implement best practices related to area of expertise.
- Build resilience, governance, management, best practice and process control to all Retail Store systems, ensuring they maintain the appropriate compliance frameworks (GDPR, etc.)
Key Interactions and engagement:
- Retail team leaders to identify and sell opportunities and include initiatives within plans and roadmaps.
- Retail teams to understand existing processes, technologies and pain points.
- Transformation Programme Office to ensure funding is secured for support delivery and that resource is allocated to all project and programme activities.
- Technology teams:
- CTO team to ensure architectural implications are understood and dependencies on other projects identified and to include opportunities within Roadmaps.
- Business relationship team for Retail to plan for implementations
- Service delivery to ensure support and service requirements are understood
- Suppliers / Advisors to identify opportunities and leverage their knowledge to demonstrate pilot and assess opportunities.
- Procurement – to ensure any pilots fit within procurement guidelines.
- Business Continuity to ensure that all Retail Store solutions meet ABF risk and continuity planning.
Essential knowledge, education, skills and experience:
- 7+ years of experience in applying technology in the Retail space with at least 4 in a leadership role.
- Clear experience and history of driving and implementing digital within Retail and enhancing the customer and colleague experience
- Excellent technology leader and trusted advisor with extensive experience of developing senior business relationships and shaping and underpinning corporate strategies through investment in Technology and digital and associated culture change. Excellent communicator and influencer.
- Demonstrated experience creating deep and effective technology engagement with the business with prior experience of relationship management at Executive Levels.
- Consistent track record of delivering complex, high-value technology programme transformation in support of large-scale, changing businesses.
- Strong customer focus with demonstrated ability to manage the delivery of a service to a large customer base in a complex multi country environment with critical real-time high-volume requirements.
- Collaborative enterprise wide thinker who is accustomed to designing and embedding technology change in large-scale live services, putting customers and users at the heart of plans to deliver required outcomes.
- Ability to see the wider picture and understands the outcomes and quality that are valued by stakeholders.
- Shows a deep motivation and commitment to improving Primark’s Retail Store systems.
- Uses strong internal and external insights to identify and drive the delivery of strategic priorities and plans.
- Communicates and translates strategic priorities, setting clear metrics and deliverables to drive continuous improvement and high performance.
- Experience in creating a high-performance culture through target setting, performance evaluation, and employee engagement.
- Challenges the status quo and applies lessons learned to enhance future ways of working.
- Makes informed and relevant strategic decisions and finds solutions which will work effectively within the culture and capability of the Technology Function.
- Keeps up-to-date with professional area, bringing insights back to the Technology Function to evolve and improve advice and solutions.
- Balance enthusiasm for new technologies with a good understanding of practical implications for implementing new solutions in a business of our scale.
- Ability to sell ideas and proposals and build trust in the organisation.
- Demonstrated history of delivering successful change.