Purpose of role: The management of all European linehaul activity ensuring all targets are met in relation to safety and environment, service, cost, efficiency and people.
Reports to: Head of Transport
Based: UK -Islip (with travel)
- Provide day to day operational management and co-ordination of European linehaul movements.
- Lead manage and mentor team members
- Timely execution of all plans using TMS
- Analyse weekly / daily volumes to ensure most cost-effective transport solution is executed
- Interpreting, modelling and reviewing operational plans / outputs
- Ensure haulier compliance (Health and Safety, legal, process and service levels) are actively managed through audit and reporting.
- Identify opportunities to use alternative modes of transport to drive efficiency and a positive impact on the environment
- Provide weekly / periodical reporting of KPI’s (e.g. cost, compliance, load fill, empty running, round trip / single trip, kms, PvA etc.)
- Reconcile and authorise haulier purchase orders ensuring accurate and timely submissions
- Carrying out periodic and quarterly reviews with hauliers
- Collating and providing accurate and meaningful data to support business reviews, forecasts and budgets
- Review processes within European Transport Control Tower to ensure lean ways of working.
- Develop ‘best in class’ standards to support the European Transport Control Tower philosophy ensuring a pragmatic approach to transport operations
- Identify opportunities to improve backhaul / supplier collections ensuring best fit with operational strategy.
- Support development of network strategy ensuring operational complexities are taken into account
- Deliver CI initiatives and projects to manage potential operational change and improvement.
- Working in unison with other colleagues / departments to optimise network operation
- Management of c. €13m budget, to include the budget creation, periodic reviews and accountability.
- Have drive, resilience and determination to deliver results in a fast moving environment
- Track record and knowledge of Domestic and European transport operations
- Proficient in transport planning and scheduling systems
- Experience of change management and continuous improvement methodology
- CPC National and International qualification essential
- Good knowledge of current EU transport legislation.
- Experience of large multi-site / network operations
- Knowledge of Health & Safety requirements.
- Advanced IT skills to include MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Interpersonal skills - discreet, trustworthy and have the ability to build and maintain strong relationships internally and externally
- A flexible approach to work and be capable of managing priorities.
- Retail or other fast paced environments desirable
- Excellent all round problem solving & influencing skills
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Commercially focused considering budgets and end to end costs
- European travel required
The ideal individual will have:
- Strong operational experience within a European road transport environment with a minimum 3 - 5 years in a relevant field
- Knowledge of EU Transport legislation and operation challenges (e.g. driving bans etc.) essential
- Ability to work cross functionally, within a team or autonomously
- Be commercially focused
- A sound operational understanding of end to end supply chain processes and outcomes of change and the ability to overlay operational solutions (understanding the bigger picture)
- Have a strong knowledge of the domestic and European market place
- Track record of delivering results and driving continuous improvement