Purpose of role:
Co-ordinating port/airport to depot freight operations within a defined destination region
Destination Operations Manager
Islip or Reading, UK
• Plan and coordinate the inbound freight operation from port/airport of arrival through to delivery into Primark depot(s) or other delivery locations within a defined destination region.
• Coordinating the assigned depot(s) intake plan, forecasting, prioritisation of merchandise, and general depot queries.
• Liaise with multiple freight service providers across the relevant operation
• Development and completion of relevant MI data and reports.
• Ability to analyse data and identify key insights to aid operational performance.
• Managing performance and operational relationships at key account manager level across UK, ROI, Europe and US as relevant.
• Finding and delivering any continuous improvement initiatives and opportunities.
• Input into and maintain standard operating procedures across all relevant modes and service providers.
• Monitor the agreed KPIs both internal and external ensuring we maintain the highest level of OTIF performance
• Support Operations managers in operational reviews with all relevant service providers which could be weekly/monthly/quarterly
• Support training requirements for buying and merchandising teams on supply chain systems.
• Understand your part of the overall operating budget, c. £120M (sea, air, road & rail) through controlling the efficient spend of agreed standard costs and managing out all exceptional costs such as demurrage, detention and storage.
• Liaising with the Customs team to improve the availability of cleared shipments in all destination markets.
• Staying informed of developments in the freight industry relevant to your regional coverage.
• Continually seeking to improve speed to market lead times across your operation
• Monitor and maintain the highest level of data integrity within our systems by effectively monitoring the data interfaced by our service providers
• Working seamlessly with our Supply Chain teams at origin who are on the ground to execute the process and procedures we set centrally.
• Provide operational subject matter expertise to the wider Inbound and Supply Chain teams
The ideal individual will have:
• Strong operational experience within a Global freight operations environment with a minimum 1-2 years in a relevant field
• Excellent and up to date knowledge of port to depot operations both ocean and air
• A proven track record in improving performance within previous operations that you have worked in
• Excellent planning skills and be able to think and anticipate several weeks ahead of time.
• Experience of large multi-site / network operations
• Good knowledge and awareness of Health & Safety requirements in a transport and warehouse environment.
• Proficient in MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
• Attention to detail and accuracy.
• Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
• Interpersonal skills - discreet, trustworthy and have the ability to build and maintain strong relationships internally and externally
• A flexible approach to work and be capable of managing priorities.
• Retail or other fast paced environments desirable
• Excellent all-round problem solving & influencing skills
• Ability to work on own initiative
• Commercially focused considering end to end costs
• Ability to work cross functionally within a team
• Have a desire to travel and inspect operations for yourself first hand
• The ability to ask good questions and understand what a good response sounds like
• Educated to degree level with 1-2 years of experience in a similar or equivalent role
• Experience working in a retail or FMCG focused head office environment desirable
• Advanced Microsoft Office skills (particularly Excel and PowerPoint)
• Excellent organisational, prioritisation and time management skills
• Ability to review and contribute to new process that will deliver beneficial change
• Cultural awareness and sensitivity
• Excellent problem solving, tactical thinking and planning skills
• Relationship builder both internally and externally with strong influencing skills
• Experience of working in a fast-paced supply chain environment
• Strong administrative skills
• Effective communicator - 2nd language skills a benefit