The Batch Specialist’s role is central in the delivery of a quality service to our internal and external customers.
In this role, you will be the internal SME responsible for the Batch landscape working in an environment of over 200 applications, multiple vendors and internal IT teams. This position will form an integral part of the Application Operations team, responsible for technical ownership, support and optimisation of the Batch platforms and job schedule.
Reports to: Technical Team Manager – Application Operations
The Batch Specialist will have a strong technical background and experience with at least one Batch scheduler, preferably Automic/UC4
Working closely with the application support team and the wider Technology team they will be responsible for the maintenance and optimisation of the Batch landscape across the business. They will be responsible for identifying, designing and delivering related Batch strategies and solutions. As a Batch Specialist, they will provide technical assistance and direction to the wider team, ensuring that all technologies work effectively together. They will maintain the end-to-end architecture constantly looking at ways to improve or optimise.
- This role is responsible for overseeing the production batch schedules for the applications landscape. The individual must be able to display a strong understanding of batch run process, production control and job scheduling.
- Work across all technology teams to understand the impact to operations of new and existing Batches
- Drive the delivery of a fully optimised batch schedule for Oracle Retail by working closely with the programme team
- Participate in incident resolution pertaining to your area of expertise
- Guidance and governance for vendors, using your technical knowledge and expertise to influence and aid project governance and decision making
- Describing the structure, characteristics, behaviour, and other aspects of implementation and batch to wider programme stakeholders.
- Champion best practice in application batch within the organisation
- Govern the delivery of services from a batch perspective
- Define batch standards to which the delivery teams need to adhere
- QA delivery of services against defined batch standards
- Impact assess changes to the batch solutions
- Attend governance meetings
- Responsible for assuring batch changes through the change management process
- Provide input into the business continuity planning
- Develop and maintain Primark-wide batch architecture including mapping the dependencies across the wider group
- Provide technical guidance to the wider Technology team to improve the overall effectiveness of the services we deliver including active knowledge sharing
- Provide technical leadership and input into the resolution of all batch related priority incidents and problems
- Manage communication in a pro-active manner with stakeholders who require the technical know-how
- Provide technical ownership of the batch landscape
- Communicate the impact of emerging technologies on the business
- Identify innovative solutions that enable optimisation of business process, cost and/or time
- Review all RFCs and changes pertaining to the batch landscape as part of Primark’s Change Control process
- Support technical teams during Incident and Problem management activities
- Manage risk identification and risk mitigation strategies associated with the architecture
- Experience with Automic/UC4 highly desirable
- Strong technical background
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Good attention to detail
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- Good understanding of core support processes
- Team player with demonstrable ownership of issues and ability to escalate when necessary
- Flexibility when it comes to supporting new technologies and a fast learner
- Proficient in creating and maintaining documentation with attention to detail
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Highly motivated and supportive/team player with a strong service ethic