The Data Specialist’s role is central in the delivery of a quality service to our internal and external customers.
In this role you will be the internal SME responsible for the operational data landscape for the Oracle Retail solution. You will be working in an environment of over 200 applications, multiple vendors and internal IT teams. This position will form an integral part of the Application Operations team, responsible for technical ownership, support and optimisation of the data flow and platforms.
Reports to: Technical Team Manager – Application Operations
Data errors are high in the incumbent systems and are difficult to identify and resolve. Oracle Retail brings a level of complexity previously unknown to Primark, so this is a key role to map data flow, to systems, to business process. In addition, with dual run of legacy systems, there is a higher likelihood of issues occurring. The Data Specialist will operate from an operational run point of view to assure data quality throughout the lifecycle of Primark’s supply chain from ordering to reporting
Working closely with the application support team, specialised business teams and the wider Technology team he/she will be responsible for the maintenance and optimisation of the data landscape across the business. As a Data Specialist, he/she will provide technical assistance and direction to the wider team, ensuring that all technologies work effectively together. He/she will maintain the end-to-end architecture constantly looking at ways to improve or optimise.
- Ensure there is a documented Business Data Model which is understood by all technology teams
- Work across all technology teams to understand the impact to operations of new and existing data tools, flows and management
- Drive the delivery of manageable/auditable data flows for Oracle Retail by working closely with the programme team
- Define, implement and optimise operational processes pertaining to the flow and integrity of data across the application landscape
- Participate in incident resolution pertaining to your area of expertise
- Guidance and governance for vendors, using your technical knowledge and expertise to influence and aid project governance and decision making
- Describing the structure, characteristics, behaviour, and other aspects of implementation and data to wider programme stakeholders.
- Champion best practice in application data within the organisation
- Govern the delivery of services from a data perspective
- Partner with the business to ensure data governance standards are adhered to in order to prevent data related incidents
- Define data standards to which the delivery teams need to adhere
- Ensure data integrity across multiple production and non-production environments
- QA delivery of services against defined data standards
- Impact assess changes to the data solutions
- Attend governance meetings
- Responsible for assuring data changes through the change management process
- Provide input into the business continuity planning.
- Provide technical guidance to the wider Technology team to improve the overall effectiveness of the services we deliver including active knowledge sharing
- Provide technical leadership and input into the resolution of all data related priority incidents and problems
- Manage communication in a pro-active manner with stakeholders who require the technical know-how
- Provide technical ownership of the data landscape
- Communicate the impact of emerging technologies on the business
- Identify innovative solutions that enable optimisation of business process, cost and/or time
- Review all RFCs and changes pertaining to the data landscape as part of Primark’s Change Control process
- Support technical teams during Incident and Problem management activities
- Manage risk identification and risk mitigation strategies associated with the architecture
- Strong technical background
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Excellent attention to detail
- Experience with major programmes including participation in/driving data migration activities
- Good understanding of core support processes
- Team player with demonstrable ownership of issues and ability to escalate when necessary
- Flexibility when it comes to supporting new technologies and a fast learner
- Proficient in creating and maintaining documentation with attention to detail
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Highly motivated and supportive/team player with a strong service ethic