Main function of role
To ensure the accurate and timely delivery of Primark payrolls.
Provide leadership, guidance and detailed support and development to a large, busy payroll team processing payrolls for UK & Ireland.
- Manage multiple teams (currently 25 members) responsible for paying nearly 50,000 employees in UK and Ireland.
- Work closely with the six team leads and two payroll specialists to ensure that payrolls are processed accurately and transmitted on time.
- Help develop and retain talent on the payroll team, offering support and motivation with an emphasis on employee engagement and retention.
- Develop relationships with key customers and ensure that service delivery is customer focussed.
- Ensure that the company’s obligations in all areas such as tax, pension and payroll compliance are fully met.
- Ensure that reporting needs within the company across all areas (e.g. gender reporting) are met.
- Ensure that the team is kept fully informed and engaged with department and company initiatives and changes.
- Lead on payroll related projects and drive on delivery and timelines.
- Step into complex areas of activity working with the team leads to deliver to challenging timelines.
- Drive any software fixes and enhancements with developers and IT.
- Demonstrate a hands-on approach to problem solving and team support.
- Work with company and external auditors ensuring compliance with and adherence to audit and security policies.
- Help drive a policy of continuous improvement on all processes and systems.
- Support growth in the company.
Skills & Competencies
- Detailed knowledge of PAYE, pension and payroll regulations and practices.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to identify and fulfil support requirements in a large team.
- Ability to make decisions and drive through solutions.
- Strong analytical and communication skills.
- Ability to lead, motivate, develop and interact well with team members.
- Experience of managing a large team or multiple teams.
- Organizational and time management skills in managing multiple, diverse and sometimes conflicting priorities.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office with intermediate to advanced level capability in Excel.
- Understanding of common payroll-related issues.
- Experience in payroll compliance practices.
A hands-on person who ensures that the company's payroll functions are met with high level of accuracy. Supervises and motivates a large team remaining approachable at all times. Keeps up to date with changing legislation. Works flexibly. Develops relationships with relevant stakeholders and demonstrates a business partnering approach. Helps absorb company growth. Enforces performance standards. Resolves problems that arise in everyday work and escalates more complex problems. Helps develop and implement policies and procedures for the department to meet specific goals and objectives of the function. Analyses and challenges current working methods to create improvements in processes and results. Works to tight deadlines.
At least 10 or more years of Payroll experience with at least 5 or more years' experience of managing multiple staff.
*Please note at this time we are not using Agency support for this opportunity