Purpose of role:
Lead and manage a payroll team to meet Primark’s payroll functions
- Manage a team including assisting with hiring, coaching and appraising
- Lead and oversee the administration of weekly and four weekly payrolls, ensuring that payrolls are paid accurately and on time
- Help ensure that the team is compliant with relevant rules and legislation
- Finalisation and payment processing in respect of company payrolls
- Overseeing pension administration and returns
- Applying PAYE regulations and company rules on calculating and entering company and statutory payments
- Drive team performance including identifying improvements and efficiencies
- Lead on knowledge of tax and other regulations in relation to team support
- Assist with monthly reconciliation process and resolution of any payroll discrepancies
- Demonstrate and maintain a positive customer service focus to both internal and external payroll customers
- Work cross functionally with other departments
- Oversee the validation and processing of spreadsheets
- Check and sign correspondence where required
- Assist with year-end duties such as balancing, reconciliations. Process P11D information and PSA returns
- Develop team members and perform activities that help with long term retention of team members
- Support the administration of the flexitime system for head office employees
- Assist with special projects related to the payroll function
- Research and prepare special reports for management and ensure reporting needs within the company are met
- Validate and process EDI & RTI files
- Carry out problem and error analysis including period end checks
- Support growth in the company
- Other duties as may be required
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- 10+ years payroll experience is required with some experience of managing people
- Hands-on approach to problem solving
- Able to step in and out of day to day payroll related activities where required to support the team
- Detailed knowledge of tax regulations including RTI, auto enrolment and year end processes.
- Demonstrable experience of working to deadlines and performing duties under pressure.
- Microsoft Excel knowledge to at least Intermediate level.
- Ability to see through tasks fully with minimal support ensuring team is kept on board and fully informed
- Strong analytical ability and excellent communication skills.
- Highly organised, detail-oriented, possessing the ability to effectively prioritise projects and deliverables whilst meeting deadlines
- Excellent planning and organisation skills, ability to multi-task, plan and prioritise work schedule for self and team and work within agreed timescales.
- Excellent attention to detail and an ability to analyse and interrogate high volumes of data as well as demonstrating an ability to focus on higher level overview.
- Proven ability in managing sensitive matters whilst ensuring all Primark information remains confidential to the business.
- Be a collaborative team player with excellent interpersonal/communication skills.
- Proven ability in developing effective working relationships across all levels of the organisation.
- Operates with a high level of integrity, diplomacy, tact and professionalism.
- Effective and persuasive presentation skills, including the ability to present complex information in an understandable manner to all areas of the business.
- Ability to lead, influence and coach others.
- Sound judgement, unquestionable ethics and integrity with high degree of transparency and trust.