The Release manager’s role is central in the delivery of a quality service to our internal and external customers. This individual will be critical to ensure development and production paths across applications are distinct and managed correctly by our existing vendors and systems integrators, to protect business and to ensure programmes are working within the boundaries set. They will work directly with the digital engineering team and help develop an appropriate release strategy to define best practise for current and future deliveries against our Digital roadmap.
This position will form an integral part of the Application Operations team, responsible for process, strategy and planning of Release and Deployment tracking across the estate.
The Release Lead will have experience of working with major programmes of transformation. They should have familiarity with GitHub/Lab for source code versioning and tools such as FlexDeploy for automated deployments. Release methodologies will be key for this role.
Working closely with the application operations team and the wider Technology team they will be responsible for identifying, designing and delivering related Release & Deployment solutions. As a Release Lead, they will provide assurance, governance and direction to the wider team, ensuring that all programmes and BAU teams work effectively together to ensure code/config integrity throughout the environments.
- Define configuration and deployment standards for the application digital area
- Provide Release and Deployment policy and planning including method of deployment
- Drive the use of deployment automation tools with existing and new vendors
- Provide management reports deployment progress, outstanding known errors and workarounds
- Assess SI and Vendor performance in relation to configuration and deployment standards and policies
- Participate in the delivery of a roadmap to move from traditional IT to bi-modal/DevOps culture specific to your area
- Record metrics for deployment to ensure within agreed SLAs.
- Guidance and governance for vendors, using your technical knowledge and expertise to influence and aid project governance and decision making
- Champion best practice in Release management within the organisation as part of the wider Release Management function
- Manage all aspects of the end to end release and deployment process.
- Provide release package design, build and configuration templates
- Assist in developing the path to production strategy for the wider business
- Identify innovative solutions that enable optimisation of business process, cost and/or time
- Govern the use of Release policies internally and with our vendors or systems integrators
- Define and develop release standards to which the delivery teams need to adhere
- QA delivery of services against defined standards
- Impact assess changes to the Release solutions
- Attend/host governance meetings
- Responsible for assuring Release management tooling changes through the change management process
- Provide input into the business continuity planning for Release management
- Manage communication in a pro-active manner with stakeholders who require the Release management know-how
- Manage risk identification and risk mitigation strategies associated with the architecture
- 5+ years in a release management role
- Experience with GitHub/Lab
- Experience with deployment tooling
- Experience of working in a Digital landscape with fast efficient delivery
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Good understanding of Release methodologies and the need to adhere to the governance practices
- Good understanding of core support processes
- Team player with demonstrable ownership of issues and ability to escalate when necessary
- Flexibility when it comes to supporting new technologies and a fast learner
- Proficient in creating and maintaining documentation with attention to detail
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Highly motivated and supportive/team player with a strong service ethic
- IT related 3rd level qualification (exceptions may be made where relevant experience compensates, and in-depth experience demonstrated)
- Proven experience with processes and methodology, including Agile (SAFe) ways of working in a structured environment
- A proven and demonstrable track record of working with internal and external teams within challenging and changing mission critical project environments including end to end testing with multiple teams
- Stakeholder/Customer focused with strong communication skills
- Demonstrable planning & organisational skills
- Risk management & commercial awareness
- Experience working in the digital space & latest technologies
- 2+ years’ experience in a consumer retail environment
Why work with us?
At Primark, we know how hard everyone works to achieve our business goals. Having a competitive salary and annual bonus scheme is our way of acknowledging this. We'll also provide you with a progressive career path, because clear advancement is what we’re all about at Primark
Our flexible working benefit, Your Day Your Way, means you get to choose when to start and finish your workday. Choose to work remotely if you like, in a way that suits you but also helps us get the most out of your talents.
There’s a lively culture here, and it’s easy to get to know each other in a truly warm atmosphere.