Reports To: Commercial Trading Manager
Team: Planning & Space
Location: Reading, UK
Job-Type (Full-Time/Part-Time/Fixed Term) Full Time. 12 Month FTC
Purpose of the Role:
Working in partnership with the Buying & Merchandising and Commercial Retail functions, this role will manage the Pricing & Promotions Trading team. This role will lead the Pricing & Promotions Trading team in providing data, insights and recommendations on current and future opportunities across the business and make decisions that lead to an optimal commercial outcome for Primark.
This role will be expected to utilise commercial and merchandising experience to deputise for the Commercial Trading Manager when required as well as developing and leading a team of a Commercial Analyst, a Trading Assistant and two Trading Administrators.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Lead company level Trading processes to maximise in-season opportunities and minimise end of season risk, supported by a Commercial Analyst, a Trading Assistant and two Trading Administrators:
- Manage the weekly listing process including analysis of listings and impact on potential markdown spend.
- Support the Trading Manager and P&S Director with the periodic markdown spend release to Commercial and Finance. Analyse historical markdown trends, current sales and stock mixes, and forward trading plans to propose the spend release and present in SPV meeting.
- Review and analyse weekly markdown spend and suggest recommendations for any adjustments to the release.
- Carry out ad-hoc analysis of markdown spend to make recommendations and support business decisions.
Carryover, seasonality and terminal stocks
- Manage the planned and trading carryover processes in a timely manner.
- Manage requests for changes to carryover and season codes and oversee updates to the system.
- Provide training and support to the B&M teams on above processes
- Create and maintain terminal stock glidepath at the end of each season. Analyse sales, stock and markdown and provide recommendations to minimise risk.
- Support the Trading Manager with monthly reforecasting process, including analysis of the Position Sheet and First Week Reporting submits by the B&M teams.
- Identify key trading messages and support with the Position Sheet and OTB meetings, including noting key actions and following up with B&M teams. Deputise for the Trading Manager in the meetings where needed.
- Review air freight proposals from B&M teams. Utilise commercial knowledge of sales opportunities and margin risks to provide recommendations or authorisations. Partner with Planning and Supply Chain teams to monitor and analyse air freight costs and benefits through the season.
- Guide Planning team on intake prioritisation. Utilise commercial knowledge to recommend and agree current and future intake priorities, taking a regional approach.
- Oversee PSR block/unblock requests from B&M teams, guiding Commercial Analyst and Trading Assistant to support with decisions and actions.
Own and manage all Pricing and Promotions processes, with the support of a Commercial Analyst and a Trading Assistant
- Provide direction, guidance and coaching to the Commercial Analyst and Trading Assistant to deliver Promotions and Pricing processes and reporting to ensure we maintain price leadership, and accurate pricing in stores.
- Guide Commercial Analyst and Trading Assistant on reprocessing and RTV processes
Reporting Analysis & Problem Solving
- Responsible for data analysis for area of specialism.
- Key member of centre of excellence for data analytics for the business.
- Support data requests from other functions including Commercial Retail, Buying and Merchandising & effectively collaborate with key stakeholders.
- Deliver and analyse reports for senior leaders within the business, offering insights into area of specialism.
- Build relationships with key stakeholders to identify commercial opportunities
- Deliver and own accurate business information and direction to peers and senior teams and influence as required
- Positively challenge colleagues and inform and influence decision making
- Lead, manage, mentor and coach a team to deliver analytics driven results and high-quality outputs
- Set ambitious but realistic timeframes for delivery for self and the team
- Set clear performance expectations for the team, monitor and managing performance
- Provide feedback to the team in a timely and motivating way, encouraging colleagues to stretch and give their best, while recognising successes
- Develop the team’s capability, spotting talent and identifying stretch opportunities whilst encouraging team to drive their own development.
- Experience operating at a Merchandiser level.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skill displaying confidence and strong collaboration when presenting information to senior stakeholders.
- Highly collaborative, comfortable reaching out and building relationships with teams across the business, while demonstrating confidence to challenge and influence senior stakeholders.
- Experience managing and developing strong and productive working relationships
- Strong commercial mindset, with strong numerical and analytical skills (including advanced excel and experience with merchandising systems) with a high level of accuracy.
- Genuine interest in product and passion for enhancing the customer experience
- Excellent planning and organisation skills, ability to multi-task, plan and prioritise work schedule for self and team and work within agreed timescales.
- Displays a positive outlook and demonstrates a strong ability to work at pace under pressure while focusing on results.
- Excellent attention to detail and an ability to analyse and interrogate high volumes of data as well as demonstrating an ability to focus on the higher-level overview.
- Comfortable using IT systems and desire to become an SME
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment, with the ability to remain agile and deliver solutions in the face or unforeseen circumstances and changing business requirements.
- Analytically minded with a passion for producing actionable insights from data.
- Curious, enthusiastic and realistic about the opportunities to leverage analytics to improve business performance.
- Ability to generate enthusiasm in others and understand / balance differing viewpoints from stakeholders.
- Highly organised, detail-oriented, possessing the ability to effectively prioritise projects and deliverables whilst meeting deadlines set by.
- Proven ability in managing sensitive matters whilst ensuring all Primark information remains confidential to the business
- Be a collaborative team player with excellent interpersonal/communication skills, while demonstrating high levels of emotional intelligence and possess the ability to push back with professionalism.
- Operates with a high level of integrity, diplomacy, tact and professionalism.
- Effective and persuasive presentation skills, including the ability to present complex information in an understandable manner to all areas of the business.
- Sound judgement, unquestionable ethics and integrity with high degree of transparency and trust