We are looking for a highly motivated individual to join our newly established Risk and Compliance function. Our Risk and Compliance team forms part of second line Risk and Assurance, within Finance. As a newly formed function within the business, we are looking for an experienced compliance leader to join our growing team. The successful candidate will have worked in the fields of compliance/legal/audit/accounting and held responsibility for various sophisticated regulatory regimes.
Reporting to the Director of Risk & Compliance, this role presents a “greenfield site” opportunity for candidates to utilise their expertise and lessons learned from previous experience to inform and shape the optimal roadmap. If this sounds like it could be the next exciting opportunity for you, then we want to hear from you!
As Head of Conduct Compliance , you will play a pivotal role in providing leadership for the Compliance function, with a specific focus on Conduct and related regulations (Anti-Fraud, ABC, Competition, Consumer Protection etc). As a newly formed function within the business, the Head of Compliance will be required to inform and make recommendations. You will ensure that all key compliance risks are identified, mitigated and monitored appropriately. You will be responsible for reporting identified risks to Primark’s leadership whilst ensuring the business meets all regulatory and compliance expectations.
You will play a central role in ensuring policies, procedures and delivery of work are implemented and adhered to in order to demonstrate regulatory compliance with Primark’s Conduct and related regulations.
- Scope, develop and report against the annual programme for Conduct related compliance in line with the Compliance Framework.
- Act as a key source of information and ensure business awareness of any mandatory compliance requirements in the Conduct space.
- Advise on the compliance requirements and operationalisation of controls for relevant internal and external conduct related obligations, i.e. Consumer Protection, ABC, Competition etc.
- Design and develop necessary policies and procedures to support operationalisation, and support with design of Policy Governance framework.
- Undertake compliance reviews of applicable regulations, designing controls and acquiring evidence of compliance ensuring that they are in line with policy.
- Improve and maintain the compliance monitoring program, ensuring compliance issues raised are dealt with in a timely manner.
- Co-ordinate compliance in relation to products, strategies and operational processes and procedures, working with partners and management.
- Ensure that relationships with relevant regulatory bodies are maintained to the highest standard.
- Undertake ad hoc projects as determined by Management and assist with Legal on regulator issues and queries as applicable.
- Drive and lead the introduction and eventual familiarity of the Compliance function to the business.
- Continually make recommendations to key stakeholders to allow us to evolve and mature within the Compliance space.
- Work closely with the business verticals to ensure full support in launching in new markets, and/or products and services in a compliant manner.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders, including senior stakeholders, clients, and project sponsors, ensuring effective communication and alignment of expectations.
- Work with internal partners on any areas of non-compliance and generate regular and routine reports for management.
- Acknowledge, anticipate, and balance the competing interests of stakeholders and serve as an integrated partner.
- Provide insightful advice to key stakeholders and raise their understanding of obligations, whilst influencing them to ensure compliance with required standards.
- Develop compelling, data-driven communications.
- Lead and manage the Compliance function to ensure that all key compliance risks are identified, and policies/procedures are implemented.
- Provide strategic leadership and direction for the team, creating and relaying a vision that aligns with business goals and aspirations.
- Operate as a role model within Primark, inspiring and mentoring others to develop and progress.
- Build a high performing team, with quality coaching and development. Focus on developing team members and identifying training requirements.
- Provide leadership, guidance, and direction to teams by fostering a culture of collaboration, accountability, and continuous improvement.
- Develop strong working relationships not only with the Assurance function, but across the wider business; Develop a strong understanding of our commercial operations in order to manage risk and delivery quality service to Primark.
- Ensure progress on key decisions, remove roadblocks and act as the point of escalation for workstream risks and issues to ensure deadlines are met. Prioritise own work whilst reviewing work performed by team and provide direction as required.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience working in a compliance/ regulatory/ risk function, with a focus on Conduct.
- Experience of interpreting and applying legislation or regulation within a company context, and partnering with first line to design and implement controls.
- Must have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Substantial experience conducting detailed root cause analysis, investigations and/or auditing, with a good knowledge of relevant analytics tools and methodologies.
- Experience in compiling information for regulatory returns.
- Good understanding of organisational dynamics and business process and policies. A working knowledge of business processes, key risks, operational and IT controls in a fast-paced commercial environment.
- Prior experience of navigating complex multi-stakeholder environments, whilst demonstrating strong interpersonal skills and generating ‘buy-in’ from all stakeholder groups
- Proficient in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access).
- Experience of working with regulators, external auditors and inspectors desirable.
- A great communicator with effective and persuasive presentation skills, demonstrating high levels of emotional intelligence and the ability to push back with professionalism.
- Ability to evaluate and determine the adequacy of controls by analysing business risks.
- Ability to build trusted relationships and collaborate across multi country, diverse and multi-functional teams to drive business objectives.
- Well organised, able to plan and prioritise work schedules and individual tasks.
- A real team player, with strong leadership skills and the ability to provide clarity and direction to previously unexplored topics.
- Articulate and able to build a strong narrative argument, distilling lots of information into a clear and consistent story that will resonate with Primark management.
- Challenges the status quo and applies lessons learned to enhance future ways of working.
- Strong planning and organisational skills, with ability to manage own workload in a pressurised environment and work to tight deadlines.
- Sets aggressive goals and accountable for continuously driving improved performance, leading change and ensuring high standards are consistently maintained.