Purpose of role: The Operational Expenditure lead will be responsible for understanding business processes and cost base, analysing the needs of our stores while identifying opportunities to reduce costs without impacting the value proposition that we offer to our customers. The Operational Expenditure lead also monitors closely the detailed spend across a range of cost centres and manages and actions, where required, requests received from our stores. The role requires strong analytical and communication skills to ensure effective engagement with a diverse stakeholder group.
Reports to: Retail Operation Manager – Operational Exp & Profit Protection
Location: Dublin (or alternative Primark location)Key Responsibilities:
- Develop a strong understanding of our existing cost base and retail service providers as a building block for cost reduction solutions.
- Monitor and take corrective actions where spend is not aligned with budget across a variety of cost centres including cleaning, consumables, workwear, packs & wraps.
- Prepare annual budgets through accurate planning and coordination with the finance team.
- Oversee the implementation of identified cost reduction initiatives from initiation through to sign off and take responsibility for delivering those initiatives and embedding the changes.
- Manage and coordinate the response to many queries, assessing each query on its merits and taking appropriate action balancing cost with the customer and colleague experience.
- Take responsibility for the relationships with third-party providers who provide services to Primark across a range of areas.
- Manage third-party providers using a defined set of KPIs and monitoring supplier performance through SLA agreement monitoring.
- Schedule and lead Quarterly Business Reviews with each supplier ensuring our partners have an understanding of our business objectives, opportunities and challenges.
- Influence country leaders and leaderships teams directly and indirectly and challenge, where necessary, the status quo with a view to improving the profitability of each market.
- Establish and own a clear suite of reports that provide detailed assessment of our costs and ensure any anomalies are clarified and appropriate action taken.
Competencies, knowledge, skills & experience:
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to work cross-functionally throughout the business and engage and influence key stakeholders
- Experienced in management of key performance indicators as well as having a demonstrated ability to deliver on targets, particularly in challenging circumstances.
- Effective and persuasive presentation skills, including the ability to present complex information in an understandable manner to all areas of the business.
- Strong planning and organisation skills, ability to plan and prioritise work schedule and work within agreed timescales.
- The ability to produce relevant, coherent, succinct information and reports for all levels of management, including understanding the requirements of Directors.
- Highly organised, detail-oriented, possessing the ability to effectively prioritise projects and deliverables whilst meeting deadlines set by management.
- Excellent planning and organisation skills, ability to multi-task, plan and prioritise work schedule
- Excellent attention to detail and an ability to analyse data as well as demonstrating an ability to focus on higher level overview.
- High level of computer literacy.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and SharePoint.