The Configuration & Deployment (C&D) Lead’s role is central in the delivery of a quality service to our internal and external customers.
This individual will be critical to ensure development and production paths across 200+ applications are distinct and managed correctly by our existing vendors and systems integrators, to protect business as usual service and to ensure programmes are working within the boundaries set. The C&D Lead is expected to manage configuration and deployment across the entire estate but critically for Oracle with our vendors. This person will sit in the DevOps so experience in these methodologies is key.
This position will form an integral part of the Application Operations team, responsible for process, strategy and planning of Configuration and Deployment across the estate.
Reports to: DevOps Manager – Application Operations
The Configuration & Deployment Lead will have experience of working with major programmes of transformation. He/she should have familiarity with GitHub/Lab for source code versioning and tools such as FlexDeploy for automated deployments.
Working closely with the application operations team and the wider Technology team they will be responsible for identifying, designing and delivering related Config & Deployment strategies and solutions. As a Configuration & Deployment Lead, they will provide assurance, governance and direction to the wider team, ensuring that all programmes and BAU teams work effectively together to ensure code/config integrity throughout the environments.
- Define configuration and deployment standards for the application operations area
- Provide Release and Deployment policy and planning including method of deployment
- Drive the use of deployment automation tools with existing and new vendors
- Provide management reports deployment progress, outstanding known errors and workarounds
- Assess SI and Vendor performance in relation to configuration and deployment standards and policies
- Participate in the delivery of a roadmap to move from traditional IT to bi-modal/DevOps culture specific to your area
- Record metrics for deployment to ensure within agreed SLAs.
- Guidance and governance for vendors, using your technical knowledge and expertise to influence and aid project governance and decision making
- Champion best practice in C&D within the organisation
- Manage all aspects of the end to end release and deployment process.
- Provide release package design, build and configuration templates
- Develop the path to production strategy for the wider business
- Identify innovative solutions that enable optimisation of business process, cost and/or time
- Govern the use of C&D policies internally and with our vendors or systems integrators
- Define C&D standards to which the delivery teams need to adhere
- QA delivery of services against defined standards
- Impact assess changes to the C&D solutions
- Attend/host governance meetings
- Responsible for assuring C&D tooling changes through the change management process
- Provide input into the business continuity planning for C&D
- Manage communication in a pro-active manner with stakeholders who require the C&D know-how
- Manage risk identification and risk mitigation strategies associated with the C&D architecture
Key Skills / Requirements
- Experience with GitHub/Lab
- Experience with deployment tooling like FlexDeploy
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Good understanding of core support processes
- Team player with demonstrable ownership of issues and ability to escalate when necessary
- Flexibility when it comes to supporting new technologies and a fast learner
- Proficient in creating and maintaining documentation with attention to detail
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Highly motivated and supportive/team player with a strong service ethic