Tech Our Way
Primark Technology is about to embark on a transformation journey to support our business strategy which includes modernising our operating model as well as our technology architecture. As an Engineering Delivery Manager, you will have a mandate for build and run of a large and complex Digital engineering domain. Working closely with our Product Managers & Product Owners to enable more frequent and faster deployments, improve software quality and reduce change failure rate and improve the mean time to recover in the event of an issue. You will create new products and deliver continuous value by delivering the product roadmap.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Have accountability for delivery of products and services in large and complex engineering function in the Digital domain, understanding the digital product strategy, roadmap and execution of the backlog in conjunction with Product Owners and managers.
- Ensure the smooth and seamless transition from the Programme team to BAU team as appropriate
- You will use a product-based, agile at scale delivery model, partnering with cross-functional delivery teams and utilising DevOps and Agile practices.
- Working with the team and peers to develop shared, ambitious OKRs and hold ourselves accountable to these
- Ensuring a culture of Stability, Security, Data Protection, and accessibility is built into all processes, procedures & products.
- Eliminating and avoiding the accumulation of technical debt.
- Focus on continuous delivery of value and eliminating blockers to same.
- In conjunction with Head of Engineering drive the measurement and improvement of Engineering quality and reliability via software engineering standard methodologies and metrics.
- Leverage the other shared services available from the wider technology groups to ensure consistency of standard Policies, processes, and procedures as appropriate
- Collaborating with other product teams to report post-launch and ongoing evaluation to validate that products work for customers or colleagues as designed, gauge user sentiment and ensure that value is delivered
- Help identify necessary and/or desirable third-party technology to evaluate and select vendors
- Monitoring relevant industry trends and engage both internal and external teams as appropriate to build shared insight
- Participate in 'on call' rota and fulfil requirements and demands as appropriate
- 10+ years experience in Software engineering delivery or IT Transformation Delivery at enterprise level, preferably in an agile at scale environment
- Experience of owning and managing senior business stakeholder relationships
- An appropriate degree, equivalent qualification or experience
- Excellent communication, presentation and facilitation skills are necessary Excellent, high-level people management skills combined with project management skills are required. Excellent communication, presentation and facilitation skills are necessary.
- Experience with vendors and systems integrators
- Experience with MACH architecture and SaaS & PaaS desirable
- Be a passionate and visionary technologist able to inspire and challenge others to disrupt the current reality and co-create a compelling technology-orientated business by
- being able to scan potential technologies (established, emerging and emergent)
- finding ways to leverage technology to add value to value to business,
- and most importantly of all, able to take people along with you, empowering new ways of working and successfully executing on those opportunities
- Possess knowledge and understanding of a retail business and the technology landscape, and how to maximise the value that products can and will add
- Strategic thinker: ability to think strategically and blend technical, operational and commercial strategic considerations into decision making
- Strong communicator: strong communication and senior stakeholder management skills; able to turn complex messages into effective and succinct communications
- Delivering change at scale: experience of successfully executing roadmaps and change at scale - across people, process and technology domains, and a range of associated delivery frameworks, including agile
- Influencer: strong ability to lead, inspire, engage and coach a diverse team and create an inclusive culture across geographical boundaries
- Collaborative partner: develop trusted relationships with key stakeholders in Technology and across the wider Primark business
- People leadership: A people leader who role models through their own behaviour and actions, embedding change by inspiring, coaching, holding themself and others to account and setting the right inclusive culture for team and partners
- Have an understanding of Agile delivery and modern engineering team practices
- Knowledge of technical product development principles and methodologies
- Anticipate risks and opportunities, responding to escalations at pace and coaching others to find solutions based on your expertise
- Have awareness of existing and future technology stacks/interfaces for the domain and how to develop these so they work seamlessly for customers and colleagues
- A high level of team contribution, seek opportunities to provide input and support across the team and outside core areas of focus
At Primark, we know how hard everyone works to achieve our business goals. Having a competitive salary and annual bonus scheme is our way of acknowledging this. We'll also provide you with a progressive career path, because clear advancement is what we’re all about at Primark
Our flexible working benefit, Your Day Your Way, means you get to choose when to start and finish your workday. Choose to work remotely if you like, in a way that suits you but also helps us get the most out of your talents.
There’s a lively culture here, and it’s easy to get to know each other in a truly warm atmosphere.