Purpose of role: This role within the Technology Dept is accountable for the successful delivery of the New Markets Programme. The role will be responsible for overseeing the delivery of all system changes to support the opening of the first store in a New Market, from initiation/business case approval through to closure ensuring they are governed, funded and resourced in line with the Primark standard methodology. You will need to manage a team of internal and external resources ensuring the Programme is delivered in line with agreed time, cost and quality KPIs.
This is a focal role requiring regular interaction with resources at all levels of the organisation. Stakeholder management and influencing skills will be key to success in this area along with the ability to manage competing priorities through strong partnerships and collaboration.
Value of projects under remit will range from €5-10 million per New Market
Location: Dublin / Reading
- Responsible for delivering the programme of projects that are required to support the opening of a store in a New Market.
- Ensure alignment with company and dept governance.
- Lead business engagement and collaboration through effective relationships with all stakeholders ensuring that the delivery team is seen as a partner to the business.
- Application and adherence to PMO processes, standards and policies (planning & reporting, dependency management, governance, risk & issue management, change control, and document management).
- Working closely with Senior Management and programme/project leads on standard practices for financial management and benefits realisation for all programmes/projects.
- Work with suppliers and functional teams to ensure a coordinated approach to programme implementation to maximise synergies and cost efficiencies
- Work with stakeholders to agree scope, feasibility, business case, costs, programme/project timeline to ensure programme is sequenced correctly and signed off
- Develop programme budgets, monitor and report progress against these to the programme steering group
- Manage the risks and issues ensuring they are communicated and mitigated so that the business is kept fully informed of progress, and impact on external customers is minimised
- Define roles and responsibilities within the team.
- Identify and manage programme risks / issues / actions through strong management of the delivery team, both internal and external.
- Accountable for accurate and transparent project and programme reporting through our enterprise PPM Tool, Planview.
- Responsible for ensuring resource forecasts are maintained accurately and demand is managed to ensure the right resources are in place when required.
- Accountable for the definition and management of high and low level project plans ensuring any deviations are managed and communicated effectively.
- Represent the team and dept and company governance forums.
- Responsible for a technical expert team including Project Managers, Business Analysts, Project Solution Specialists and project delivery specialists.
- Continuously work to improve delivery and optimise the total cost of entry for a New Market
- Ensure that after the initial store is opened in a New Market the opening of subsequent stores in that Market can be delivered through an accepted BAU model.
Key Interactions and engagement with as part of role:
- IT Executive Team
- Transformation Office
- Project Managers
- Business Stakeholders
- External Stakeholders
Essential knowledge, education, skills and experience:
- Educated to degree level with at least 5 years Senior Project/Programme Management experience
- Retail experience is essential
- Knowledge of programme and project management methodology and managing full lifecycle of programmes from definition to final delivery
- Track record of managing multiple IT projects at the same time
- Used to working effectively under pressure and to tight deadlines, maintaining control at critical points in the programme/project.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to use different media to communicate in the most effective manner for the situation.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills that will allow you to effectively communicate with stakeholders and external customers.
- People management experience within a programme context
- Sound judgement particularly in relation to programme risk and issues management
- Flexible. Able to change direction on a project if required for delivery and still remain in control
- Good programme budget management skills
- Strong team working skills inspiring trust and acting as a catalyst for success
- Experience applying project methodologies, including agile and waterfall methodologies.
- Experience in the use of PPM Tools e.g Planview.
- Experience managing on-site and virtual project teams
- Continuous improvement mindset
- Delivers value for the customer